View Single Post
Old June 22, 2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Nnobby45

I restored (with a little help) an old Remington Model 34 .22 bolt action that belonged to an uncle who was a cowhand. The gun looked like it belonged to a cow hand-- scratched, initials carved into the stock, and so on. If the rifle could talk, I'll bet it could tell some stories from the wide open spaces of Eastern Nevada. Was only made in the early to mid 1930's.

This one has a Lyman 54 Peep Sight (not all that different from todays' Ghost Rings). Big enough for quick tgt. acquisition.

A local gunshop in Reno, Mark Fore and Strike, sent it in to be blued for me, and I left rust removal to them. Fortunately, the bbl. and receiver weren't pitted. Didn't have pretty girl videos back then, or I might have tried that.

It was done by Pacific International of Janesville, Calif. They're now located in Oregon (who wouldn't move out of Kalif.). Good folks, and good gun smiths. This dates backs to the late 70's when I undertook this project. Just recently, I sent the gun back and they were able to make a new tubular magazine that had been bent and kept the rifle from working right. Works fine now. This is one of the more accurate .22's ever made. Still!

A friend showed me a Sheridan air rifle he finished with Tru Oil. Absolutely beautiful, so that's what I decided to use.

I sent to work with fine sand paper and Tru Oil. Apply coat to fill up pores, sand some more with very fine paper, apply another coat, and keep doing this until all the pores are filled up and a thin coat remains on the rest of the stock. Don't be in a hurry. Let it dry between coats. I'd say I put a dozen coats on. I believe my friend used more. Forget the directions on the bottle that say a couple coats. I just hand rubbed it, as I recall.

Finished it up with some mineral oil and pumice stone for a good shine. Probably not necessary, since the Tru Oil does a good job on it's own. Came out beautiful.

Today the rifle isn't as prestine or shiney as when I restored it, but it's had some use since the early 70's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem Model 34 003.JPG (47.3 KB, 613 views)
File Type: jpg Rem Model 34 006.JPG (143.5 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg Rem Model 34 004.JPG (68.3 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 22, 2010 at 06:29 AM.

Page generated in 0.03940 seconds with 9 queries