View Single Post
Old December 20, 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
kraigwy

In years past, the military was big in light loads for the service rifles. Many of the old books have loadings for the 30-40 Krag, '06, 308, etc.

The main reasons were because of National Guard Units not having access to outdoor ranges and had to do their practice and some qualifications in in door ranges.

Actually things haven't changed a lot, the Army had sub cal devices shooting 22s out of ARs.

I've always, since I started re-loading nearly 50 years ago, have use cast bullets in rifles. I've done a lot of small game and varmint shooting with a 7 MM Mag, using cast bullet and unique.

There are several powders that work, but lately I've discovered that Trailboss seems to be the cat's meow.

Especially with heavy large capacity cases like the 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Win, etc etc.

5744 is another good powder designed for reduced and cast bullet loads.

With something along the lines of the 30-40 Krag, 5744 pushes lead bullets about the same speed as the Government Load.

The problem with pistol powders (Unique, Red dot, and such) is they don't take up much room in the case, meaning inconsistent velocities, depending on how the powder lies in the case with the rifle is fired. That problem is eliminated with such powders as Trailboss and 5744.

If one take a bit of care in preparing the cast bullets they can be quite accurate.

Back in my NG rifle shooting days, I did quite a bit of practice using cast bullet loads in my M1 & M1A, shooting at 50 ft. NRA small bore targets indoors. Kept me in shape for the High Power Season which was pretty much dead in the winter months in Alaska.

Some rifles don't necessarily mean reduced velocities, two I can think of right off hand is, as mentioned the 30-40 Krag, and the 30 Cal Carbine.

One can certainly reduce their shooting cost by using cast bullets and there is no reason to give up accuracy.

Col Whelen isn't the only (Military) gun writer to talks of reduced and/or Cast bullet loads in military rifles, Capt Edward Lewis, Sharpe, Hatcher, just to name a few. North Cape productions (who produces Collector's books for Military Surplus rifles) mentions several, including shot gun loads for the 30-40 Krag.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02584 seconds with 8 queries