View Single Post
Old October 20, 2011, 10:39 AM   #21
F. Guffey

Shredder, you could have increases the distance the die was screwed down an additional 3/4 turn, before I punished my equipment I eliminate bad habits, bad habits? Taking advise from the Internet that is repeated over and over and over etc., etc.. The first one that comes to mind sounds something like “Chamber a round, pull the trigger to fire form, then neck size 5 times, THEN, when the case becomes difficult to chamber start over by full length sizing” HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Then there is the “A case is not fully grown until it has been fired 5 times”

I do not know what press, die and shell holder you are using, there are times the press wins, there are times when the shell wins, I do not find an advantage to sizing tuff cases, with a feeler gage the amount of stress, strain and flex can be measured when measuring. Put another way, a case can be tuff enough to refuse sizing even when the die is screwed an additional one turn, for those than can keep up if the case can not be stuffed into the die with an additional turn the press flexes, binds or bends. In the old days strain/deflection gages were used when comparing the strength of presses, in the perfect world cases used when testing the strength of a press 5 time fired cases were not used. But, when comparing the effort, effect and difference between sizing a 1 time fired cases and 5 times fired cases a few reloaders could draw a conclusion, sizing a 5 time case to start over is a bad habit.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02282 seconds with 8 queries