View Single Post
Old February 8, 2013, 02:28 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Sorry if I gave the impression I thought the military's obsession with cleaning was due to their concerns about accuracy. I know its not. I just meant that military training about keeping weapons clean is part of our built in firearms heritage.

I spent a few years working for our Uncle Sam, as a Small Arms Repairman, and I'm pretty well aquainted with the Army's concerns about accuracy in general (and standards for overseas shipment),as well as a few other things.

You're entirely right, concerns about accuracy and bore fouling are not the reason you clean your weapons every chance you get.

Got any idea the Army accuracy standard for overseas shipment for the M16A1 in the 1970s?

8 MOA

That's right, 8 MOA! IF a rifle wouldn't meet this standard, it was retained in the states for training use.

I was personally involved with several thousand M16A1s that were sent overseas. Got any idea how many were tested to ensure that they met the 8MOA standard?

Zero

With those guns, at that time, function was important. Accuracy wasn't.

I'm guessing, of course, but while I know many details have changed in the last 40 years, I doubt everything has...

Page generated in 0.02928 seconds with 8 queries