View Single Post
Old September 15, 2011, 01:36 PM   #27
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Just me but I wish I had gone with 22 instead of 17 caliber when I bought my Gamo but it is still good enough for squirrel and rabbits under 25 yards and feral cats at 50' or less so I am an air gun fan but I think PCP has more developing to do yet.
Your 1,000fps .177 Gamo is quite adequate for squirrel killin' far beyond the 25 yards you mention... My personal best is 63-65 yards laterally with the bugger in the top of a VERY TALL tree (at least 75' tall).

My personal best on rabbits and feral cats is 50+ yards... Your ability to make these shots or lack of confidence in the weapon does not limit the actual ability of the weapon.

Brent
I practice regularly at 50 yards and its rabbit hunting accurate with some pellets at that range but I screwed up about 6 months after I bought and started shooting it. I bought a .17 caliber brass brush and cleaned it. My one hole groups at 20 yards disappeared and I used to get them just using the cheap hunters pellets. Now I have to use the heavier pellets to stay in the black at that range. Fellers, never run a brass bore brush down an air rifle barrel, it is bad juju. It is beginning to tighten up again but I don't know if it will ever get back to the accuracy it had when I first bought it. What hurts is having to spend twice as much or more for pellets. I weep but it is still cheaper than shooting a 22 so I can live with it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.02759 seconds with 8 queries