View Single Post
Old August 26, 2000, 11:44 AM   #6
DaMan

Range Observations: NEF .223 standard contour barrel.

I was able to break the 1MOA barrier with my NEF Handi in .223 with handloads that were intended to be used in my AR-15s.

Lessons learned:

1. My standard contour barrel tends to walk, if I don't allow about 5 minutes between shots for the barrel to cool. Groups shot with a hot barrel tend to string straight up vertically. Horizontal dispersion remains around 3/4" at 100yds but vertical dispersion is much greater!

I don't know if you guys with the heavy barrels have the same problem. If you do, it's probably not as noticeable. My advice..... get the heavy barrel!

2. Although I haven't loaded specifically for this rifle, I know that it would benefit accuracy by using fireformed cases that are neck sized only and the bullets seated longer (AZ Fred mentioned this before).

3. The trigger on my Handi sucks! Gotta do something about this!

4. I experienced no ejection problems. I've fired about 150 rounds without cleaning the chamber (just the barrel every 10-15 rds.) The only time I had problems with extraction was when I tried to catch the ejected round and inadvertently bounced the case back into the chamber over the extractor. Note: I have not fired what I consider HOT cartridges.

The load I used to crack the 1MOA barrier was a Sierra 52gr. MK with 21.5 gr. loaded at 2.260" with I4198 in a Fed. case sized to ANSI min., and a WSR primer. Avg. of five 5-shot groups 1.059" at 100yds. (smallest .806" largest 1.140"). Remember..... this ammo was loaded for my ARs for magazine length function! I'm sure these groups can be improved with loads designed specifically for this particular gun!

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 26, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02228 seconds with 8 queries