View Single Post
Old January 1, 2007, 07:03 PM   #39
Zeek5793

Long range Elk

I've lived in Idaho for,almost 60 years, have been hunting Elk for,48 years,
So think I can say that a 30-06 is just fine, I've killed many Elk,& very large Deer with that caliber, and a couple with a 243, all one shot kills, all under 300 yd, a couple with the 06 out to 380 yd, but thats about the most the 06 is really good for. Sure you can kill, Elk at more distances, but you'r taking chances, you don't need to,
I don't like tracking wounded game, So allways wait and take the shot that will do the job with one shot,Yes I've had to track Elk, but only for about 50 or 60 yd, and if you take your time you can get within very short range, always watch the wind direction. As far a recoil, the 243 is the best by far the 30-06 depending on your loads, can be a little hard,but still ok. If I ever buy amother Elk rifle it will be a 338 wim Mag. My Grandson has one and it a Rem 700 ADL with a cynthitic stock, but it has a musselporting, He loads his own eather 225, or 250 gr spbt more than enough bullet for anything on this side of the world and it dosn't kick as bad as my 06,with 165grspbt, Hope this helps out, the main thing is use what you feel the most comfort with, I'm sure that you can find , or have some freind that have friends that have these calbers that you can shoot a few time before making up your mind,
And really the main thing is to always keep the wind in your face, some times Elk will see, and maybe even hear you at distance , you might get away with, that BUT if they SMELL you they can but so much distance between you and them in milliseconds your never see those Elk again, Guarenteed
Good Luck, GOD BLESS

Page generated in 0.03001 seconds with 8 queries