View Single Post
Old May 5, 2007, 11:41 AM   #12
Trapper L

The one thing nobody has mentioned and is critical in benchrest is the length of the action versus the stiffness of the action. A standard rifle action like a Rem 700 with a barrel screwed on it for a 308 will be far less apt to flex than a longer action with a 3006 barrel screwed on. This is one of the major reasons everybody has gone to the 308, 6PPC, 6.5/284 is for the shorter actions. This is also why a lot of the guys are shooting sleeved actions.
Interesting about the felt recoil between the two. Common physics says that when you have an action, you have a reaction. It seems that if I were shooting a 168 gr bullet thru a 26" barrel and the max pressure curves were identical, the felt recoil would be the same. The pressure curves are easily identical nowadays with the variety of powders used. I don't see where the case capacity would enter into the equation in regards to recoil.
I've also stated here before that with lighter bullets, the 308 can and sometimes will push a bullet faster than a 3006. For those with a Speer manual #13, look on page 281. Speer acknowledges that the 308 can exceed the speed of the 3006 with bullets up to 150 grs. This is consistant with my chronograph readings using the 125gr TNT bullets. The 308 will be faster than I can get out of any of the 06s I load for.
Interesting thread. I look forward to the chat about this.

Page generated in 0.02345 seconds with 8 queries