View Single Post
Old September 4, 1999, 07:16 PM   #3
Long Path

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"I have a 100-yard backstop for the benchrest on my front porch, and a hanging plate out at 185 yards. I've been told they are everything from 200 to 500 yards out![/quote]

Ah, to return to the green(?), green(!?) pastures of Brewster County, where civilized gentry reside in trappings of opulence. What size dinger you got hanging at 185, Art? Big enough for pistol?

I, too, am subject to losing my range estimation if I don't practice a little. Funny thing, though, if you consciously try to practice, the opportunity is all around you. I sometimes play at a really stupid waste of time that involves about 13 useless clubs and a white plastic ball of about 1.5", struck over 5 mile courses. (Twain called it a good walk, spoiled.) While doing so with my best friend the argument has, in the past, arisen over the approximate distance said balls were struck. After awhile, I've noticed that I get no arguements if I correct Scott tp tell him that the ball he's certain he's stricken 300 yards distance is really 230 yards. In the past, the argument went: "But I'm an engineer!" "And I'm a rifleman." Being right (on this subject) often enough, I've found the arguments stop. (he he)

What gets scarey is how I can be a solid 100 yards or worse off when estimating ranges beyond 500 yards or more, especially if there's any part of the distance occluded by a rise, or if there's a large drop between me and the target, like in a canyon.

When the newer Bushnell range finders that give good ranges out to 800 come down in price, I think I'm going to get one for that occasional 5-600 yard varmint shot on the ranch. If I get good enough, who knows? Maybe a deer at that range...

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Page generated in 0.02835 seconds with 8 queries