View Single Post
Old April 10, 2011, 05:43 AM   #23
Cascade1911

Well, a bunch of responses for sure. What prompted my original question was what I perceived as indications from posts on this and other forums that nickel didn't last as long as brass. I'm only talking pistol brass (I've never come across nickel rifle brass).
I don't keep track of my pistol brass, just inspect and discard suspect pieces. It might seem to me that I discard a disproportionate number of nickel cases but I have no real data. From my limited experience I do believe nickel extracts from my revolver slightly easier than brass. For me it actually seems to run through my carbide die just a touch easier. I've not met flaking of the nickel, I have tumbled the nickel off.
As neither extraction nor tarnish/ corrosion have been an issue with me and I use carbide dies I guess I'll not place a premium on nickel when I hunt for brass but not avoid it either.
(I know Hornedy uses nickel by design in their "Critical Defense" ammo. One reason was that it was easier to see in the dark. I don't remember if they sited easier extraction and corrosion resistance. If you reload your own SD rounds (start your own thread if you want to start THAT argument once again) you might want to choose nickel for those reasons).

Page generated in 0.02296 seconds with 8 queries