View Single Post
Old December 7, 2000, 01:59 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I used one extensivly (the older Model 742) in 30-06 and loved it. On a good day 1 1/2 inches off the bench were the norm. It handled well, had a great piece of walnut on it, and is easy to clean. The ONE bad thing about it was that when my brother-in-law first inherited it (from his dad), it would pull the extractor right through the case head and leave the empty shell in the chamber! He gave it to me, the first thing I did was to polish the chamber, that did not help. Every 2nd or 3rd round it would do it. Finally it dawned on me that I was using Winchester 150 grain SilverTips in it. That was the ammo that he had, and had given to me when he gave me the rifle. I got a box of Remington 150 grain CoreLoct out of my shop and BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! It worked like a charm! I used it for several years before I gave it back to him and to this day with either Remington ammo or handloads that would be suitable for a M1 Garand it never looked back, all it did was shoot. I think that the WW powder was too slow burning and it caused a high gas port pressure, which led to violent extraction, and that was the cause of the problems

Page generated in 0.02295 seconds with 8 queries