View Single Post
Old March 16, 2000, 11:42 AM   #2
Skorzeny

Halffast:

I train in BJJ, Shooto and Muay Thai. When I spar, it's pretty much full force.

The nice thing about grappling arts (BJJ and Shooto) is that you can give your opponent (training partner) a chance to give up (tap) before you break the joint. This is possible, because our submissions are always done after we secure positions (so that even if the submission fails, we can still maintain a superior position and try again).

For Muay Thai, full-force sparring requires some nice protective gear to not kill each other.

You will never be able to completely replicate real-life encounters, but with proper protective gear and realistic rules, you can train full-force.

For me, there are four levels of full-force training: 1) all grappling techniques allowed, no striking; 2) all grappling techniques, light slaps and bumps with feet and knees; 3) all grappling and moderate-strength (no vital areas) strikes with bag gloves and lastly 4) all grappling and strikes with lots of safety gear and thick, padded gloves.

I should note that "American Karate" (I don't know what you are refering to, but maybe Ed Parker's lineage?) is not considered street effective anymore because of its limitations in training and techniques. In some ways, it suffers from the same problem TKD people suffer.

Yes, we do fight in real life the way we train. Unfortunately, our opponents in real fights do not move or act like our training partners in most martial arts.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Page generated in 0.02833 seconds with 8 queries