View Single Post
Old June 18, 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
F. Guffey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In looking for the ultimate in rifle accuracy, how important is neck tension(NT)? Leaving feeding issues out of the equation, assume every round is a singly loaded. If NT is important:

What should it be?
How do you measure it?
How much of NT is a function of the uniformity of the brass?
Can there be none with a light crimp to hold seating depth?
Is any type of crimp always detrimental?
Any experiments along these lines or opinions are most appreciated.

...bug

Bumble Bug, “Any experiments along these lines or opinions are most appreciated” My experience, I am the fan of bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get, tension? I can measure tension if we are talking about an interference fit, problem I can not measure neck tension in pounds, I can measure bullet hold in pounds, then there is that part about time, is time a factor? Then there is that part about how fast the neck expands. When the powder behind the bullet turns to hot high pressure cutting gas, the bullet is sitting still, therefore there is a lag, anyhow about this time the conversation moves to Aberdeen, MD. and cold welded bullets.

We are not dealing with cold welded bullets, back in the 50s Lyman suggested crimping did more to loosen the bullet than it did for bullet hold, meaning in todays terms crimping does more for lessening neck tension than it does for increasing tension, back to, I can measure bullet hold.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03463 seconds with 8 queries