View Single Post
Old November 20, 2012, 02:46 PM   #6
F. Guffey

"A bit of "cam over" on the press handle ensures the case goes all the way into the die. This makes sized case headspace very, very uniform."

Nothing like starting over everyday, there is no ansurance the case goes all the way into the die, there are days the case whips the press, then there days the press whips the case, "....case goes all the way into the die?" If a reloader is going to spend $40.00 for a set of Competition shell holder they should learn to use them.

"set the die such that the shell holder just touches the bottom of the die when sizing cases. A bit of "cam over" on the press handle ensures the case goes all the way into the die. This makes sized case headspace very, very uniform" Just touches? Why? to full length size a case back to minimum length adjust the die down to the shell holder THEN!!! turn the die down an additional turn of 1/4? 1/2?? 3/4??? If the length of a minimum/full length sized case from the head of the case to the shoulder of the same case,the distance from the deck of the shell holder to the shoulder inside the is the same length if it is a full length sizer die that restores cases to minimum length. Just touching the shell holder with the die will not get it because of resistance to sizing and spring/flex of the press AND! the case could have been fired 47 times.

So, for those that purchase the set of 5 $40.00 shell holders, adjust the die down to the shell holder, THEN!!!! turn the die in an additional turn of the die in fractional turn, fractional turns converted to thousandths, or in degree, degree converted to thousandths, or use a height gage or a feeler gage, save the 40.00 until you have developed shop skills, and familiarity, become more familiar with the tools you have.

"ensures the case goes all the way into the die. set the die such that the shell holder just touches the bottom of the die when sizing cases. A bit of "cam over" on the press handle ensures the case goes all the way into the die. This makes sized case headspace very, very uniform"

If a reloader wants to know if the case was pushed into the die when the ram is/was raised measure the gap between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die, touching is not going to get it, Do the Rogers double check, screw the down past the shell holder, make the press work.

Think about it, the die sets on top of the shell holder, resistance isbout the case being shoved into the die, the case offers resistance, to overcome resistance take advantage of the incline plane 'HREADS!!!!' Increase the ability of the press to overcome resistance by screwing the die down.

Worry? Why Worry? The maximum ability of a die and shell holder to return a case to minimum length is in the design, The shoulder in the die can not get closer to the shell holder deck, that means the limit of the die and shell holder is fixed/limited.

Just touching????? Redding Competition shells, same-O, same-O, to add add .006" to the length of the case between the head of the case and shoulder use the +006" shell holder, again, I have a set, I paid $5.00 for the #6 set, I did/do not need it, but 5 shell holders for $1.00 each is more than I could resist, again, 3 of the shell holders are off by .001", not a problem, small stuff does not lock me up, small stuff does not drive me to the curb.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02436 seconds with 8 queries