View Single Post
Old October 20, 2008, 09:56 PM   #18
T.A.Sharps

There is no one slug that is the dream sabot slug for every rifled barrel shotgun. Just because one claims great accuracy and perfect bullet design doesn't mean anything accept in the test gun they used to get the ballistic results with.

Velocities are generally taken from the highest obtained in testing, some companies use an average velocity.

I know people who have evaluated Hornady SST and found it to have a very consistent velocity, and a few who have got Sub MOA at 100yrds from it, one was with a Rem 1187, not sure what the other was.

But this does not mean you can go out and buy a box of this and shoot 1 MOA groupings just like that. Performance varies greatly gun to gun with all the variables in the "sloppy" design of shotguns. Its like voodoo and when it works it really works good.

You really need to test every ammo there is, and shoot a lot of each each type since performance varies so much box to box, and even within the same lot number. Testing gets expensive though since each box only has 5 rounds.

The best would be to hand load. I'm looking into doing that since it is relatively easy to load a slug and sabot with some powder under it into a plastic hull. That would give the best consistency shot to shot, not hoping the factory is.

Page generated in 0.02898 seconds with 8 queries