View Single Post
Old March 6, 2013, 07:04 AM   #48
PawPaw

I remember, in the early '60s (I was a pre-teen) sitting on big cardboard drums of powder in the reloading room of the local Rod and Gun club. Mostly IMR 4895 and IMR 4831, plus Bullseye and Unique. Members could buy it by the pound, but you had to bring your own container and it cost 20 cents per pound. .22LR ammo was almost free, as it was govt surplus ammo, and brass in common military calibers was free for the asking. that is what I consider the good old days, as I was an impressionable 10-year old and thought that the reloading room at that club was as close to heaven as I'd ever get.

Nowadays we actually pay less for ammo than we did in those days, taking inflation into account. However, those guys in those days strived hard for 1" groups with the rifles of the day and a rifle that would shoot consistently into that magic inch was treated like gold and spoken about in hushed tones. Nowadays nearly every rifle we get out of the box is capable of that or better with very little tweaking. This insanity will pass and we'll get back to the point where we were six months ago. Heck, I'm already seeing primers and powder locally.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03035 seconds with 8 queries