View Single Post
Old January 26, 2014, 12:18 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I really don't buy into this thing called "accuracy" for self defense. Don't get me wrong, I know accuracy can be a factor if needed to hit a target near cover or if the target has a hostage. But I'm talking about an ordinary and possible home invasion with a confrontation between the owner and intruder. I don't see a need for "accuracy". I mean what's the point in placing a second round through the already made hole? To me, it would be better to have some degree of inaccuracy so as to cause multiple holes in different places causing more damage to the offender.
There are, essentially, two things we mean when we say accuracy. They are related, but not identical.

First is the ability of the gun, ammo and shooter to put the bullet where you are aiming.

The other thing we mean when we speak of accuracy is the ability of the gun & ammo to put its bullets in the same place. Repeat ability. Group size.

Why is this important? Because we need to hit our target. And we need to hit it where we are aiming, every time. A gun that is not "accurate" won't do this.
Quote:
I know accuracy can be a factor if needed to hit a target near cover or if the target has a hostage....
Ok, you clearly recognize that it is a factor in these situations...
Quote:
But I'm talking about an ordinary and possible home invasion with a confrontation between the owner and intruder. I don't see a need for "accuracy
Ok, its true that at very close range, accuracy isn't as much of a factor, but it is still a factor. And this is where the "group size" part of accuracy plays a part. At very short range, even a smoothbore is going to go close to where you aim it. But close may not be good enough.
Quote:
I mean what's the point in placing a second round through the already made hole?
The gun doesn't know its an "already made hole". Nor care. A gun that doesn't try to put its bullets in the same place means NONE of the bullets can be counted on to go exactly where you are aiming.

This is why we look at group size. A 4" group (at any range) means that each shot lands somewhere within 2" of where you aimed. This alone could be the difference between a shot that ends an attack and one that does not. And, of course there are many other factors at work at the same time.

At really short range, its not as important as it is at longer range, but that doesn't mean its not important. A gun (and you) that are accurate enough for long(er) ranges will be accurate enough for short range. A gun that isn't, MAY be accurate enough for short range, or it may not. Why risk it?

Example: Short range (inside the house) and you do everything right, aim center of mass, etc. but the "accuracy" of your gun/ammo turns that center of chest aim into a hit on the arm or a graze on the chest? Not nearly as good an outcome, for you....

OK, you may not need accuracy at belly to belly distances, but you don't lose anything if you have it, and may just gain a critical advantage.

Page generated in 0.05178 seconds with 8 queries