View Single Post
Old December 14, 2007, 03:25 PM   #131
tyme
Staff

Quote:
The complexity of ill effects outlawed narcotics has on our society is almost beyond comprehension. It is obviously beyond the comprehension of said staff members who believe the "war on drugs" is unconstitutional.
The complexity of ill effects the 1st, 4th and 5th amendments have had on our society is beyond comprehension. Who knows how many killers and other violent criminals would be gone, or in prison for life, if they didn't have those "freedoms" to hide behind. And what would it matter if a few more innocent people got caught in the crossfire? Surely the greater good would be served if those already half-gutted amendments were finally disposed of?

We are not supposed to restrict citizens' rights simply because doing so has utilitarian benefits. We have a constitution -- at two levels, unless you're in D.C. or a territory -- for a reason. If you don't like constitutional restrictions, move to North Korea or Saudi Arabia. I'm pretty sure they both ban all the "hard" drugs you're likely to be concerned about, with draconian penalties. I'm also pretty sure that there's plenty of misery in both countries.

Please consider that for every "obvious" course of action to reduce crime, drug use, poverty, or other social pathologies, there tend to be less-obvious sociological effects that offset those "obvious" social gains.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
tyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03716 seconds with 8 queries