View Single Post
Old April 28, 2009, 01:37 PM   #32
Hellbilly5000

as found on wikipidea

The term militia is commonly used today to refer to a military force composed of ordinary citizens[1] to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service, in times of emergency without being paid a regular salary or committed to a fixed term of service. It is a polyseme with multiple distinct but related meanings. Legal and historical meanings of militia include:

* Defense activity or service, to protect a community, its territory, property, and laws.[2]
* The entire able-bodied population of a community, town, county, or state, available to be called to arms.

* A subset of these who may be legally penalized for failing to respond to a call-up.
* A subset of these who actually respond to a call-up, regardless of legal obligation.

* A private, non-government force, not necessarily directly supported or sanctioned by its government.
* An official reserve army, composed of citizen soldiers. Called by various names in different countries such as; the Army Reserve, National Guard, or State Defense Forces.

Page generated in 0.03660 seconds with 8 queries