View Single Post
Old March 10, 2007, 09:25 AM   #47
Double Naught Spy

I have no doubt that many reloaders do save money, but the savings aren't so much in the cost of production, but in the fact that they shoot that many fewer rounds when they go to the range because of all the time they spend on reloading-related activities instead of shooting. For them, shooting seems to be the process of validating the reloads so that they can be a better reloader instead of the reloads being made for the process of being a better shooter. So a bunch of time is spent trying to determine just how the reloads are performing and afterwards, scrounging around on the ground to find more raw materials. Heaven forbid there should be a bad round where the reloader has to track down a spent case and inspect it thorough to try to ascertain if there are any signs on the case that would explain the problem with the bad round.

If somebody shows up and proclaims "I've just worked up a new batch" or "I am trying a new powder today" then I can usually count on that person spending more time with their reloads than with their targets and shooting.

In short, I often see two types of people at the range, reloaders and shooters, and the name implies on which activity the greatest amount of time is spend while at the range.

From my golf days, reloaders remind me of those guys who spend more time looking for "free" water balls and "free" balls in the rough than actually golfing, proclaiming all the while how much money they are saving.

Page generated in 0.03432 seconds with 8 queries