View Single Post
Old August 28, 2005, 04:49 AM   #2
seed

If you can afford it, get a good gun safe. This will protect you from thieves as well as your 7 year-old nephew. In addition, if you get a good safe, you can have one with a certain degree of fire-protection.

I have two safes...one at my apartment and one at my parent's house. I can't tell you how glad I am that I have them. Peace of mind, let me tell you. Both were sold as burglar/fire safes, but only one of them is actually somewhat fire-resistant. Before you buy, do some research and make sure that the safe you buy is UL listed for BOTH categories. Last I checked (ten years ago), there were some real nice safes listed for both and the fire-resistant material in the double-walls actually served as an additional barrier to thieves. It was purported to be so hard that it would cause drill bits to break.

One more thing...unless you move around a lot, be sure to get a safe which is bigger than your current and near-future needs. Your collection will grow inside it in the coming years.

Almost forgot...If you get a safe, be sure to purchase rechargeable dessicant bags and bore-store silicon-containing storage pouches. No rust concerns.

P.S. Am I the only one who finds trigger locks useless?

Page generated in 0.03341 seconds with 8 queries