View Single Post
Old December 12, 2009, 05:17 PM   #8
fastforty

I agree, shooting stance is dictated by circumstance (hmmmmmm).

I've trained extensively using the modified weaver. It does offer a far superior platform, both for tactical advantage and recoil recovery. The problem with it is, it hurts to practice it. It stretches muscles that aren't normally stretched. Students often complain about this factor, especially first time students (by the end of four days of rigorous training, they're good to go though). If you keep up a schedule of dry practice 2-3 times a week, it's no problem. If you forget to dry practice for a couple of months, it is uncomfortable to do it (though you probably wouldn't notice if you just had to draw and fire under threat).

I got a new 1911 a couple of weeks ago and, sorry to admit, I haven't been dry practicing lately. After a couple of very short range sessions, it was just getting painful to shoot in the weaver stance so I switched to iso. Wow! Very comfortable, with reasonable accuracy and recoil recovery. I surely wouldn't want standing with my chest broad and square to a threat that was returning fire to be my only option, but a situation could arise where that is the only possible instantaneous choice. Just like dropping to a kneeling position behind cover (or any other shooting position for that matter) you won't be able to do it quickly, gracefully and effectively when you need it if you haven't practiced it.

So, iso is a fantastic shooting position for the range, or any other application when there is no threat of incoming rounds. It could even be necessary to use it in self defense. However, distance, cover and concealment are good buddies to have when bullets are whizzing past you and you will find those buddies a lot faster/easier with weaver.

Practice many shooting stances but think about this: "How many iso stanced paper targets have you seen that won the gunfight?" (LOL)

Page generated in 0.02555 seconds with 8 queries