View Single Post
Old April 20, 2009, 11:37 PM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

Much as I would like to continue...

To discuss our opinions of the Founding Fathers, I fear that the continued drift from the OP would lead to thread closure.

However, before I leave this subject (perhaps we might discuss these things privately? or in a different thread?) I would like to explain two things in my point of view.

1) That I consider the "Founding Fathers" to be more than just those individuals signing the Declaration of Independence, and so well remembered in history. To me, our Founding Fathers includes all those who joined in and made the Revolution successful. Not just the "wealthy elitist males", but the rank and file citizen soldiers too. And those at home who supported them and their cause, men and women.

2) "All men are created equal" A true phrase. All of us are created equal, through the biological act of procreation. The same for the rich and powerful as it is for the poor and powerless. It doesn't mean that all men are equal, and it never did. Only that since we are all created equal, we should all be equally treated under the law.

As to the origins of our gun control laws, I see them as racist, broadly as the term is commonly used today, by application, if not outright design. Even the Sullivan Laws, aimed at ethnic groups racially white, would be in that category, as well.

It is a well recognised fact that laws always have unintended consequences. Even though many of the laws originators fail to behave as if they understand this. I think the "racist" originators of our early gun control laws would be quite upset at how their laws are being applied today! Too bad for us they didn't think of that, and kept their pens and their votes to themselves.

The law is the law, and must be applied to everyone equally. I don't agree with the need or the usefulness of most gun control laws, but until they are changed, they are the law, and what we must comply and live with.

Until they pass a law saying I can't complain about them, I will continue to do so. And I think you should too!

Page generated in 0.02429 seconds with 8 queries