View Single Post
Old January 6, 2006, 03:09 PM   #15
Wild Bill Bucks

know the soy bean helps a whole lot, I just wish I had

F.Freedom

Did not get the 14 point I wanted but did take a nice 8 point this year(about 147lbs without the fillings)
I agree with Sako, you need to do as much for the property as you can, but if your like I am here in Southeastern Okla. I'm sitting on the side of a mountain with no way to bring equipment to my plots, so everything I do has to be done with my 4-wheeler. Don't kid yourself, you can do a LOT with an ATV but you are still pretty limited when it comes to preparing soil the way it needs to be done.
I'm doing pretty good if I can get 3 or 4 bags of good old 10-20-10 to my plots.
All the guys that make deer feed pretty much have the same opinion that Protein is the main Point builder on a deer rack, so I try to keep my Soy Bean feeders full year around.
Since natural browse in my area is about 4% protein, my deer don't get a lot from Mother Nature. The whole soy bean is about 35% protein, so if I can just get them a mouthful every so often, they are increasing their protein level quite a bit as the year goes by.
Been using soy bean for about 3 years now, and have noticed BIG difference in the deer on our lease. 5 years ago, it was a big deal to see a buck with more than a 6 point rack that would weigh more than 90 lbs.
This year there were 2 of us that took deer over 135lbs. and the other boy had a 10 point rack on his.
I saw several bucks this year that had better than 10 points with the biggest one being 16 points (verifyable) so I know the soy bean is working. I just wish I had a way of making a food plot that would be really productive so I wouldn't have to fill my feeders quite as often.
I'm using 50 gallon barrels so I can't get much bigger and it takes a lot of trips up the mountain to fill one with a 4 wheeler.

Page generated in 0.03283 seconds with 8 queries