View Single Post
Old January 2, 2014, 05:30 PM   #25
RC20

James,

A couple of points from the ditch digger type (I shoot for fun and keep it fairly basic).

1. When development a load, don't worry about where it hits, what you want is how it groups (clusters).
Where it hits will change form day to day (weather, gun stock etc). If you can get good groups then where it hits is mostly a matter of sight adjustment.
Keeping in mind if it groups good and shifts a lot from shoot to shoot there is something wrong but its consistent, ergo a stock warp that is still solid. That gets into bedding issues.

2. 5 shot groups are the better take. Hunting rifles have hard time with that as they are intended to group good for a few shots but then can wander with their thin barrels.
A heavy barrel stabilizes that. A lot of heavy barrel in 308 are readily available (US) as its a popular long range shooter.

Me, I just shoot at 100 yards (range limit) have fun. If I get a good group I am happy. The experts will tell me I have to shoot 5 x 5 shot groups to get all the statistical norms and deviation (and all that six sigma stuff!).

Its very true but I am not in that league.

I load a variety of powders (Powder shortage and fun) and I do not worry where the current test load hits (as long as its on the target!) just how it groups with 5 shots.

I shot a round a while back and I got 3/8 (30-06 which sadly heavy barrels are custom only). 5 shots I had 1 1/4. I think that was me not the gun or scope but thats a better take on accuracy (or consistancy if you will)

Page generated in 0.04657 seconds with 8 queries