View Single Post
Old July 10, 2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimio
I thought you're supposed to keep your irons in focus and the target is supposed to be blurred,...
That is standard doctrine and what most of us teach. I certainly shoot that way and have for years. With iron sights I focus on the front sight, and with a scope I focus on the reticle.

In coaching students we notice that when their accuracy begins to deteriorate it seems to be because they are losing their focus on the front sight. That our inference, at least, because when we get them to again start focusing hard on the front sight their accuracy improves.

Certainly Gunsite teaches front sight focus. Other instructors, like Massad Ayoob and the late Louis Awerbuck do as well. I know this for a fact because I've taken their classes.

There are some well regarded instructors who teach target focus, Rob Pincus is one, I believe. And there are also a number of types of point shooting.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.05101 seconds with 8 queries