View Single Post
Old July 9, 2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Jim243

I just maybe too old to learn new tricks (I'm an old dog) LOL. But there is always room for improvement. In pondering your question, my brain was running overtime (maybe over thinking it) and it hit me that I too do the wrong thing when shooting (keeping one eye closed).

We are bipeds for the most part with two feet, two legs, two arms, two ears and yes two eyes. This gives us the ability to range find (stereoscopic vision.)

I am left brain dominant, meaning right handed and right eye dominant as well. Since I shoot rifle 99.99 % of the time with high powered scopes, I end up with each eye looking at two different focal planes at the target, one near and one far. It seems my brain can not process this information so I keep one eye closed after I have ranged the target with both eyes open. This is ok for shooting paper, but not that good for snap shooting a moving target, like when shooting rabbits with a shotgun (you really need to keep both eyes open then since range will change on a constant basis.)

I am not a fan of covering one lens of my glasses while shooting, I would rather have the peripheral vision of both eyes if needed in a hurry. (don't want to shoot something or someone I shouldn't.) Besides, I can take a quick look to re-range my target to make sure something has not changed.

I do shoot pistol with both eyes open, so that maybe one solution to practice pistol shooting more, or get your self a slingshot and practice shooting that with both eyes open, or just take your SLR camera out and start taking pictures with both eyes open and see what kind of results you get.

As Kraig said, practice, practice, practice.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02460 seconds with 8 queries