View Single Post
Old March 8, 2010, 01:46 AM   #4
BikerRN

I used to be strictly a fan of the Guage for HD, and they still have their place IMO, but I have also become a fan of the AR platform in 5.56/.223 for home defense.

The Guage delivers and awesome amount of power and is reknown for it's ability to stop a threat at what is commonly thought of as handgun distances. With that power comes slower second shot capability, limited ammunition capacity and unwieldiness in a non-static position. As a last option, "You ain't going no further in your attempt to harm me and mine;" give me the Guage.

For pool usage, and wieldiness give me the M4/AR platform in 5.56/.223. With a retractible stock I can use the bookcase as cover far better with the M4 that I can the Guage. The M4 can, with training, be fired from awkward positions that render the Guage a one shot weapon. Also, in dire need the M4 can be fired one handed if needed. I don't know about you, but I'm not big and strong enough to do that with the Guage. Also, ammunition capacity and reloads are a non-issue with the M4. It is also a weapon that my wife can and will fire. I can't say the same about even a 20 Guage.

I know all of this sounds like I've turned against the shotgun, but I haven't. It's just that I've come to appreciate both platforms, and use both for home defense. The Guage is the last weapon to defend the Master Bedroom, as at that point the threat needs to be stopped in no uncertain terms and I feel the Guage has the ability to do that better than any other platform at my disposal. I am willing to use the rifle for home searches and clearing, given it's wieldiness, and bring the other family members to the protection of the "safe room" for final protection provided by the Guage.

They both, along with the handgun, have their place in home protection. The goa; is to be equally versed in all three and pick the right tool for the job. If I don't know what made that "bump in the night" I will opt for a handgun. If I know the "bump in the night" was made by a verified threat to me and mine I will use the rifle to secure the safety of others in the household and bring them under the protection of the Guage.

Between the two platforms, if I could only have one, I'd opt for the Guage with a defensive handgun.

Biker

Page generated in 0.03865 seconds with 8 queries