View Single Post
Old March 24, 2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Hammie,

Thanks.

Unfortunately I have not found what you did to work out with rifle cartridges and the Wilson gages. The reason is given on the L. E. Wilson web site FAQ, item number 10. It is that the gages are designed for use with fired cases, which means they have to be at least as big in diameter as a SAAMI maximum chamber. The SAAMI standard diameter tolerance is +0.002", so if I have a tight chamber, a case that fits the Wilson could be up to 0.002" too big in diameter for my gun's chamber. That's why I spoke of them for length determination only.

If you chamber your own rifles or own the chamber reamer your gunsmith uses to chamber them for you, if you call Wilson (509-782-1328), they may be be able to make you a custom gauge using that same reamer. I haven't asked, but it would seem like a reasonable custom service to offer. If not, have your gunsmith cut one out of barrel blank scrap for you that lets you tell if a loaded cartridge drops in or not and has your headspace. That won't reveal trim length, but several fellows on the board do that to have an all-dimensions pass/fail gauge for loaded rounds and for resized brass.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02956 seconds with 8 queries