View Single Post
Old January 8, 2007, 11:49 PM   #9
rnovi

I've got two Surefire flashlights and a Streamlight.

My first surefire is an L5 Lumimax with a 5watt LED. Takes 2x 123's. I paid close to $200 for it and quite frankly to me it was worth every penny. It's the QUALITY of the light produced. 100 Lumens of perfectly shaped, bright white light with fantastically consistent flow. Pick one up sometime and take note of how it feels in your hands. Ergonomically they just plain work. Look into the beam sometime and it will absolutely ruin any nightvision. This is my Neighborhood walk-about light.

My second surefire is an M4 Devastator - $330 retail. Takes 4x 123's and, using the 350 lumen lamp assembly, will suck those 123's dry in 20 minutes. 350 lumens. Heck, the lamp assembly alone is held on springs and is designed to absorb drop shock without busting the filament (which is very common with incandescant bulbs).

This thing will absolutely blind you. My brother was playing with it and stared into the light for just a quick flash: he was seeing spots for at least 15 minutes. I bought this light as a "weaponlight" - blind any intruders first and then hit them with the 9mm 10 times... This light is so stupidly bright it's unreal. My wife and I were fooling around in the dark one night and I decided to shine it at a wall - the whole room lit up like day. And I was darn near seeing spots just from the reflected light.

Are they worth it? Depends on your budget. I bought a Streamlight TL3 Incan - 3x 123s'. Cost me $50 and quite frankly I'm not impressed at all. Dingy yellow light that burned out fast. I'm sure there was a short in the wires somewhere as it drained the batteries while just sitting around in a drawer.

There are lots of good lights out there - it all depends on what you like. I rather enjoy flashlights and have always had a bit of a flashlight fetish. Rossi vs. Colt Python - depends on whether or not you need/want a Python.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries