View Single Post
Old September 4, 2011, 10:05 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcook
"Citizens United" made it legal for corporations to make unlimited anonymous contributions to political campaigns. Find an originalist argument for that.
Tell me where it's prohibited?!

That's the catch, and the single biggest error of interpretation today. The COTUS is not intended (primarily, substantially) to limit people or companies. It is intended to limit government interference with people and companies.

So many people see it backwards. How can I use this to influence, add power, usurp authority, enforce my will?

No. Wrong. The COTUS was intended to PREVENT undue government influence. LIMIT government power. MAINTAIN the authority of the people. ENSURE the will of THE PEOPLE.

Fact is, the National government should have very little influence on the day to day lives of people and companies. It's primary interactions should be with the states themselves and foreign powers.

The states should have more, but still limited, influence and power over people within their borders. The local governments should have yet more, but even still limited, influence over the people directly.

The people were to control the government. Not what we have today. THAT is the originalist argument.

Page generated in 0.01967 seconds with 8 queries