Thread: First handgun
View Single Post
Old June 4, 2013, 03:04 PM   #10
fragtagninja

Welcome to the forum ryanh51. I am a newcomer myself who just got into shooting after many years away. There are a lot of great handguns out there to choose from. So many in fact it is hard to decide on one. I would not be so quick to throw auto loading pistols out. Modern pistols like the Glocks, and Sig Sauers are known for reliability. Both have their ups and downs. My dad prefers revolvers to autos and the .357 magnum is his round of choice. If he could own just one gun it would be a Colt Python with a six inch barrel. My advice is to go out and handle everything you can before you buy anything. Then research what has a good reputation. One thing my dad states as a great advantage to the .357 revolver is that it is big, heavy, and can also shoot .38 special which is much lighter recoiling round. He says this is a great way for new shooters to get used to shooting before they make the jump to mag power. This is of course his view of the .357 mag. But again from someone who just went through the process you are now. Go handle every gun you can and see what feels good in your hand. Play with the triggers and every other control on the gun. Make sure they are easy for you to manipulate, and compare sights. If you don't plan on changing sights in the near future make sure you can clearly see them.

Page generated in 0.03799 seconds with 8 queries