View Single Post
Old May 9, 2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Misssissippi Dave

W231 will work in .45 and I have a couple of pounds of it just for those times when I run out of my favorite. I like a clean, accurate soft shooting load for range use. I normally use WST for this. It also fills the case more than most other powders do so I can see it without much effort. WSF and AA5 work well when you are loading from mid range to the upper levels. Those are about the slowest powders I normally would use. I know I could use AA7 with a 230 grain jacketed bullet but I don't think there is anything to gain over AA5 and WSF. I know of some people using Pistol Powder. They like it, but I think there is way too much flash when you are shooting in low light including some indoor ranges.

If I were to shoot lead bullets I might even think about AA2 as a powder choice for soft shooting loads.

All these powders will measure well in most powder measures. I have yet to use Pistol Powder but have heard it measures well. I have a lot of WST on hand now and Powder Valley has it in stock again as of last night. I use it for .45 with Montana Gold 185 grain JHP bullets (also in stock last night). WST is also the powder I prefer to use with a 115 grain Jacketed bullet in 9 mm. Good luck trying to find load information with that combination. I use AA5 with 124/125 grain Jacketed bullets in 9 mm. AA7 is my prefered .357 Mag. powder. AA9 will allow you to get more speed in .357 Magnum if you are wanting a hunting load.

You can use a lot of different powders with .45. I like the ones that burn cleaner and measure well. Since I use progressive presses, the consistant powder drops are important to me.

Page generated in 0.02049 seconds with 8 queries