View Single Post
Old March 5, 2013, 07:30 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

A lot is going to depend on your budget as well . . .

If you're talking a "traditional" . . . .

Check out a good NorthWest Trade gun or a French Fusil de Chase . . .
these were originally flintlocks but you could also get one "converted" to percussion . . . there are a number of custom makers out there . . .

I have a Fusil de Chase - basically a .62 soothbore (20 gauge). I shoot patched balls and also use conventional shot gun fiber/cardboard wads for shot. A lot of folks will poo poo a smoothbore and no, you aren't going to be able to take the eye out of a gnat at 100 yards . . . but, it's like anything else . . you need to practice and learn how your smoothbore shoots . . . .
it all depends on your game laws but you'd have no problems taking a white tail with a round ball or getting tree rats, rabbits and fowl with shot . . . if it's legal where you are

And don't underestimate a flinter . . . they are reliable and fast ignition if you have it set up correctly and know what you're doing.

Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03868 seconds with 8 queries