View Single Post
Old May 14, 2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

For some reason this question appears repeatedly. I think it must be natural for people to be skeptical of something inexpensive. After all, why would there be a market for the more expensive stuff if the inexpensive stuff is just as good?

Lee actually is one of the most innovative companies in the business. Their patents on the collet sizing die, the factory crimp die, the wiper system for handling stick powders in their Perfect powder measure are all outstanding bits of engineering. Their execution is Chevrolet on the outside, as Russ said, so they are not as pretty as their competition. On the other hand, I believe they are still the only maker who hones their sizing dies, rather than ream and polish, so their cross-sectional roundness is better than anything else on the market.

Lee products are all functional in a non-slick way. I've had the experience with their older progressive equipment that its rough corners produce a bit of sticking of primers or other odds and ends of minor grief, and that their lighter construction doesn't endure the way my two Dillons or my Forster Bonanza Co-ax press or even my ancient Lyman turret press have done. But if you watch what you are doing, no bad ammo comes out of them.

I still use all the Lee products I've bought over the years. The Challenger press with a Lee universal decapping die serves as a dedicated de-capping station now (I decap before cleaning rifle cases—not necessary, but I like being fussy with match loads). The Challenger's aluminum frame will wear faster than cast iron or aluminum with bushings, but you just need to keep it lubricated. You can use a semi-permanent lube like MolyFusion or Lubri-Silk, or use Plate+ on the steel ram (Plate+ is the only one of the three that has no affinity for aluminum, but will make the ram slick), then you won't ever see wear.

I keep a Lee Hand Tool in my range box for load work-up. I usually prepare cases and go to the range with a couple of the Perfect measures (so inexpensive I can have a separate one for each powder I commonly use), a scale, the hand tool and seating dies. This lets me assemble loads as I gradually increase the powder level while watching for pressure signs. There is nothing to beat the convenience of that hand tool at the range.

I use the Redding Competition seating dies for rifle because they work well and I've had them for awhile. I don't know how the Lee zero-error seating arrangement compares? But this brings up the point that most of us who re-load find certain tools we prefer for some specialized functions. It isn't that others are bad, just that we get comfortable with what we get out of particular ones.

So, in the end, especially considering the low volume you are talking about, I would go ahead with the Anniversary kit, figuring that over the years you will gradually get other equipment but keep the Lee gear in service for some purposes.

The only question I would have are whether the nature of your disability means you would want a press with a higher leverage ratio than the Challenger? A heavier press will resize large rifle cases more easily. Lee's new cast iron frame Classic press would be a candidate. If you shoot pistol or rifles up to the 30-06 size range, I wouldn't worry about it.

One small caveat: Lee has promoted their white water-soluble case lube for resizing for some time. I believe you'll get a tube in the kit. I've never found it as easy to resize with as Imperial Sizing Wax (available through Sinclair), or any of the spray-on resizing lubes or just a lube pad damp with STP. The advantage to the Lee product is ease of clean up (water) afterward, while the others all require tumbling with plain corncob media or a rag and some mineral spirits or mechanic's part cleaning solvent to remove. But if you find resizing difficult, try one of these other lubes.

Nick

Page generated in 0.03201 seconds with 8 queries