View Single Post
Old March 14, 2010, 06:00 PM   #4
drail

Almost every Ruger I have torn down has had a lot of machining burrs in the frame and trigger guard. If tiny chips of metal break off and end up in the right place it can tie up the gun. The best thing to do with one is tear it down completely and go over everything and look for burrs and scrape or stone them off (not the hammer or sear surfaces) or run a drill bit by hand into the bored holes and clean them out. Then use high pressure compressed air to blast all the chips out of everything. (wear safety glasses). Relube everything with your favorite oil/grease and go to the range. Ruger designs and builds some of the best revolvers on the market today but I wish they could spend a little more time deburring and cleaning the machining chips out of them. Their triggers are finished with corners so sharp you can slice salami with them. Ouch! Carb cleaner is a little more aggressive than what you really need for a gun and is hard on some finishes and plastic parts as well as your skin. I just brush on some CLP, let it soak and hit it with an M16 brush and blow it off or wipe it out and call it good. All of the aerosol cleaners are overpriced and a lot of the product gets wasted and most of them are nasty stuff. If you clean a lot of guns buy a cheap compressor and blow gun nozzle. Air is free and a pint of solvent goes a long way.

Last edited by drail; March 14, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.02520 seconds with 8 queries