Thread: Rifle dies
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2005, 07:18 AM   #9
flashhole

I have a mix of dies but in general I prefer Redding.

25-06
Lee Collet Neck Die - Great design but I have more problems with this die than all the others put together. The collet sticks and crushes cases with no indication of a problem until you see the neck pushed into the body. I have to clean and polish it 3 or 4 times per loading session (40 rounds). I'm tired of tossing die-damaged brass in the garbage. I will replace it with a Redding Neck Die (standard, not bushing) and get the carbide sizing button.
Forster Ultraseater - Super alignment of bullet to case and I have not seen any indications of runout on any 25-06 loads.
Redding Body Die - Super design, bumps back the shoulder without touching the neck. Wish I had gone this route on all my dies.

7mm Rem Mag
Hornady New Dimension Die Set - OK dies, the FL sizer is a little too aggressive (makes cases slightly smaller than spec) and I don't like the pressure locking mechanism on the smooth center shaft that holds the decapping pin. I will eventually replace these dies with a Redding body die and a Forster Ultaseat die.
Hornady Seat Die - I put the micrometer option on the seat die, yes, it gives you finer adjustment but you have to tape it in place once it's set because it moves when processing ammo. I don't like that at all. Compared to the Forster Ultraseat Die.....it sucks.
Redding Neck Die - Super precise die, (standard, not bushing) with the carbide sizing button. Most folks don't understand how important it is to lube the inside of the case neck to minimize runout. When using a die that pulls a bead up through the neck for proper sizing this needs to be as frictionless a step as possible. The carbide button is self-lubricating and goes a long way to help the situation.
Lee Factory Crimp Die - Another super design by LEE and it's just plain hard to screw this up. Adjustment for the degree of crimp is simple and it is absolutely repeatable.

300 Win Mag
Redding Deluxe Die Set
Full Length Size Die - Excellent sizing to SAMMI specs and is easy to clean. Only use it on new brass with Imperial Sizing Wax for my 300 to ensure no problems for fire-forming.
Standard Neck Die - Equipped with carbide sizing button, same comments as 7mm Rem Mag above.
Vickerman Seat Die - A very precise die. This die has an open port to witness the seat process, is a finely toleranced mehcanical assembly, and produces loads with no detectable runout. I have purchased the interchangeable insert for 25-06.
Lee Factory Crimp Die - Same comments as above.

45-70
Hornady New Dimension - Again, these are OK dies. I kept these in favor of a set of new RCBS dies I had because I outfitted the seat die with the micrometer option. It moves with this caliber too, just like with the 7mm RM. I will most likely try a set of the Lyman Cowboy Dies for this cartridge. I like the M-Die approach to flairing the case neck, the Hornady solution works but the ability to fine adjust is somewhat lacking. I have no experience with Lymand dies but my understanding is the Lyman Cowboy dies are of good quality and worth the look see.
Redding Taper Crimp Die - Super design, much superior to the LEE Factory Crimp Die in a straight neck case. Like the name suggests, the taper crimp engages a large portion of the case/bullet as compared to the crimp mechanism on the LEE FCD. Easy to adjust and aids in straightening any misalignment of the bullet to the case during the seat step.

All dies are used on my Redding Ultamag press. Powder charged with a Redding powder dispenser. My powder trickler is Redding and I have a Redding scale. If you can't tell, I'm a Redding fan. You can't go wrong with Redding equipment.

Are you ready for civil war?

Page generated in 0.05197 seconds with 8 queries