Thread: Shot Placement?
View Single Post
Old April 9, 2005, 07:39 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
if you know when to use it. Swat teams use it when they think the person is using body armor. If they don't get a reaction from double taps to the 10 ring. They go for "pockets" to stop the individual. It is not the first target, but I would go for pockets before a head shot anyday All this talk about where to put the bullet is driving me crazy. It is this simple You shoot center mass until you get a reaction. Some people say shoot at the target 1.2 times in the upper left shoulder between the anus and skull. Thats bs! Sometimes you can't even tell you are hitting the target more or less pinpoint a shot. Don't count your rounds! Program your mind to shoot until you get a reaction. You shoot someone twice and pause...."umm ok did i hit you? no you didnt ok let me shoot you again" haha it does't work that way sorry!
So you are saying not to aim at a point, then point out that SWAT aims at pockets for failure to stop reactions? Pockets would be spots, but what do you do if the bad guy is in a dress or trousers with no pockets?

Your notion that you should shoot someone twice and then pause is naive. You imply that the pause is a shot effect assessment. Simply put, you should not be pausing. You should be assessing your shots in real time. If your target reappears in your sights after recoil, then your target isn't down and so that is when you repeat. In Tyler, Texas, the good samaritan apparently did pause to assess and now he is dead.

I have no idea what you mean by 1.2 times in the upper left shoulder between the anus and head. Just what is supposed to be hit in the upper left shoulder that is critical? Is sure as heck is NOT the heart or lung. I take it that the upper left shoulder is specified because that is where many people think the heart is located. I blame this on a poor understanding of anatomy and being taught to do the Pledge of Allegiance with one's hand over the heart as learned in grade school and we were instructor to put that hand on the upper left of the chest. The problem is, the heart isn't there. Think about it, when doing CPR, where are the compressions to take place? They take place at the sternum, in the center of the chest.

Quote:
Does anyone seriously think that at the time of an urgent shooting that they will be aiming at a spot? It's not like that at all - center of mass, center of mass, center of mass - as much as you can. Then reload and do it again, if necessary.
Two incidents, North Hollywood Bank Robbery and Tyler, Texas. Center mass shots just got good people hurt in CA and one killed in Texas because the bad guys had on body armor and the good guys could not hit the head, at least not for a considerable amount of time. That is why we do failure to stop drills.

FYI, center mass is a spot, just not an anatomically named spot.

Page generated in 0.02427 seconds with 8 queries