View Single Post
Old June 9, 2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Lemmon

I was in a gun shop in North Charleston SC and found in a box of Thompson Contender barrels a 30 Herrett. I bought it as the price was right and read up on the round. At one time I had a Marlin 30-30 and traded it for my Rem 700 Mag. I found a few 150 grain loaded rounds and pulled the bullets with a kinetic bullet puller. That gave me primed brass and bullets to load. It has been some time since I loaded the rounds but I remember using a fine tooth hack saw blade to cut the 30-30 round down to size and a file to smooth it out. I followed the directions that were spelled out in the Speer book I had. The barrel had iron sights and test showed the sights were right on target. Took it out and climbed an oak tree early one morning and a nice buck stopped by to forage around the tree where I sat. One shot and the deer hit the ground. I had hit the spine and that deer was not going anywhere. That was my first deer taken by pistol.

I put together more rounds for the 30 Herrett and later got a 35 Herrett. I really enjoyed the 35 Herrett. It was accurate and often shot it at a 200 yard rifle range near Spartanburg.

I need to dig the Herrett out again and play with them some more. Got a lot of pleasure shooting the TC.

Lemmon from Rural SC

Page generated in 0.02210 seconds with 8 queries