View Single Post
Old April 21, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I 2nd Hawg. Although i believe you are talking about pistol - I've used just plain crisco in the base of the minie balls (.58)I shoot in my muskets. I have even left a load in the rifle overnight, just to see if the crisco bleeds in to the powder and have never really had a problem with it (I've experimented with this a number of times in different temperature conditions). Of course, common sense dictates the stiffness of the lube. In hot weather, I do the same thing that Hawg mentioned. I make up a mixture of crisco and beeswax, using the beeswax as the "stiffiner". When skirmishing, I just used plain old crisco and it kept the fouling soft and allowed for easy reloading during a relay. Between relays, I'd clean the bore. I've never really tried (when using just plain crisco) seeing how many rounds I could get out of the barrel before it became too fouled to load easily. Since a lot of fellows "size" their minie balls, I suppose that would have some effect on it depending upon what the OD of the minie ball and the tolerance it had with the bore. All this probably doesn't help much with what you are talking about though. Good luck! Sincerely, bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03616 seconds with 8 queries