View Single Post
Old December 21, 2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It seems to me that almost every time a citizen exchanges fire with a criminal, eventually the criminal ends up getting arrested.
I think the operative word in your statement is "seems." I think what seems to be is actually a presentation/sampling error.

What you say seems to be the case because caught criminals make the news for a second time. The often make the news for the event where the shootout occurred and then they make the news when they are caught. There are not a lot of followup stories on events that don't happen, such as when the criminals are not caught.

I don't doubt that there are a goodly number that are caught for the reasons you state. I would also add that they are sometimes caught because they left additional forensic evidence (spent casings, fired bullets) that also get connected with them later, in part because they are still using the same firearms.

Page generated in 0.02645 seconds with 8 queries