View Single Post
Old March 10, 2011, 03:33 AM   #14
Lost Sheep

Yes, for some reason the 454 recoil is out of proportion

Quote:
Norrick

If you reload, I would go 454 for the vast number of bullet options. Could shoot cheap ammo with reduced loads for fun, and a lot of normal 45 colt bullets would work until the pressure/velocities get up too high (then gas checks are needed, or so they say).

Can you find any "cheap" 500 bullets? If so then more power to you.

Just FYI, the 454 is a very "snappy" recoil compared to other magnum calibers. No experience with a 500, but the 454 kicks substantially harder than a 44 mag. I believe the powders used burn much faster for standard length barrels.

I would imagine the sheer size of a 500 would help reduce recoil due to the added weight.
Norrick, right on most counts.

I have fired both. Yes, the 454 recoil is "snappier", but I haven't figured out why (physics-wise).

My shooting buddy has a 4" 500 Mag Smith & Wesson and I have a 4 5/8" Freedom Arms and a 7.5" Super Redhawk, both in .454 Casull. The Smith is gentler to shoot at normal power levels, mostly because of the weight and the muzzle brake.

At the REALLY high power levels, though, and bullet weights past 500 grains (and even the Buffalo Bore 300 grainers) the recoil is significantly painful with the 500. I used a glove once (not a shooting glove, but just a regular leather glove). Ripped a big half-moon tear in the palm. Used to be a nice pair of gloves, too.

However, there are a couple of guys who cast lead bullets (Arnie's Ammo and Ranger Rick) who make hard-cast lead bullets and there is no real price difference. The heavier bullets do take more lead, so are proportionally more expensive, so the 700 grain bullets do cost more, but are SO MUCH more "fun" to shoot. (Just kidding. Rick does not recommend shooting the 700 grain "Tyrannosaurus Thumpers" out of the 4")

On the "fun loads", however, we have a Trail Boss load under a 300 grain slug that clocks at about 750-800 fps that recoils like a 22 rimfire.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03817 seconds with 8 queries