View Single Post
Old July 21, 2012, 03:51 PM   #22
Bill Akins

Since you're looking for a muzzle loading rifle, check out the CVA (Connecticut Vally Arms) sidelock, traditional style, .50 caliber mountain rifle at any of the auction sites (not sure, but I don't think they are currently manufactured anymore but could be wrong about that).

I have one of those and so does a shooting buddy of mine. They have double set triggers so you can choose to use the trigger non set (for quick snap shooting) or you can "set" the trigger to a hair trigger for maximum accuracy by functioning the 2nd trigger to "set" the first one to hair trigger status. You can also adjust the trigger to whatever amount of sensitivity you want via adjustment screws in the trigger group.

With its very long barrel it is so accurate it frequently outshoots modern rifles accuracy wise. Definitely one you might want to check out. Remember when searching, it isn't listed as a Hawken, or long rifle, but as the "mountain" rifle.
You can't go wrong with that one. I found my shooting buddy one on Guns America auctions for about $225.00
It had the brass patch box built in and with an unusual add on rear tang ladder peep sight. But most of the ones you will find don't have that type of sight and are like mine with just the regular rear sight which works just fine.
In my opinion it is the best black powder traditional style rifle that CVA ever made.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.02683 seconds with 8 queries