Thread: setting up shop
View Single Post
Old January 5, 2009, 03:47 AM   #3
HiBC

It is real nice to have a well set up shop.High on your list of "Must Haves" is a solid bench and a good vise.Likely you will want a few different vises.If you are going to ever leave a gun in the shop overnight,better have a good gun safe.Not just a Homak locker.Good light is important.
Try to find an old book "The Modern Gunsmith" It is a good read.

Enjoy and learn!

Here is where you may need to do some serious thinking.Whether we like it or not,Federal Firearms law requires you to have a Federal Firearms License to take in gunwork.
If a BATF agent brings in a .22 and says "Can you clean my gun for me" and you accept the job,you are busted.
If you work on a gun and somebody manages to have a negligent discharge that injures someone,your fault or not,you will be defending yourself in court.
Same if somebody grabs the wrong can of powder and loads their 7MM STW with 80 gr of Bullseye.It doesn't matter if you did a recoil pad,the lawyers will try to make it your fault.
It is also pretty easy to get in over your head as you learn.Somebody might bring in an early 1886 Winchester takedown with checkering and an octagon barrel and color case hardening to have you replace a front sight.You might put nice thick cork jaws on the vise to protect the finish.So far,so good,but maybe some grinder grit from when you dressed a wheel was on the cork and you scratch the color case.He notices,and shows you in the book it is a $14,000 rifle! Have you broken a tap? In somebody else's gun?
I do not intend to rain on your parade.I encourage you to believe in your dream,and work on guns!!But,for now,better work on yours!!Build dream rifles,or find broke junkers cheap and fix them.Restore them!
Be real careful about knowing Federal Firearms laws and not getting in trouble.
For example,if three people are having coffee in your shop,and there is a gun involved,my understanding is,you have met the criteria for "Gun Show" and somebody with an FFL has to dio a background check and fill out a yellow sheet. if you sell a gun Good Luck!

Page generated in 0.02615 seconds with 8 queries