View Single Post
Old February 26, 2002, 03:43 PM   #6
Gewehr98

Oddball SKS configuration

Saands, I don't have any digital pics yet of the bayonet lug area, but I can take some, perhaps e-mailing them to you?

The Yugoslavians did a bunch of stuff to adapt a bayonet launcher, gas valve, grenade ladder sight, and night sights to the standard SKS.

The front sight was moved further aft, and is now integral with the bayonet mount/pivot. The bayonet is a good bit longer than the original SKS blade bayonet, to extend it's reach past the integral(and permanent) grenade launcher. Instead of the ring that goes over the muzzle to lock it in the deployed position, the bayonet has a claw arrangement that locks into the bottom ring of the grenade launcher. See where the blood groove terminates on the pivot end of the bayonet? The non-blood groove section that extends towards the pivot from that point is the amount the bayonet was lengthened to get out there past the grenade launcher. Pretty slick, and it works and locks open as advertised.

That front sight base/bayonet mount also holds the flip-up forward night sight and the grenade launcher ladder sight. The ladder sight locks down onto the gas system, and the gas cutoff valve secures it in the down position when the gun is used as a semiauto rifle. In grenade launch mode, you are forced to set the gas cutoff valve to single shot mode in order to unlock and flip up the grenade launcher ladder sight.

For Kalifornia, you'd be better served getting the Yugoslavian M59, as opposed to the M59/66. The earlier M59 doesn't have the grenade launcher, and looks just like it's Chinese, Romanian, and Russian cousins. The M59/66's grenade launcher is fit pretty darned solid to the barrel, and then pinned. Not impossible to remove, but then you have to deal with the rest of the grenade launcher bits, too...

I know what you're up against out there, I was assigned to McClellan AFB near Sacramento until August of 1999. I was never so glad to take my AK, AR, M14NM, BM-59, BAR, AR-7, FAL, 10/22, and all their hicap magazines across the Nevada border to Florida before I had to register them with Bill Lockyer.

Neural Misfires

Page generated in 0.02251 seconds with 8 queries