View Single Post
Old July 5, 2013, 01:50 AM   #86
Ludwig Von Mises

When I first started shooting rifles, I was all about groups, always trying to beat my uncle on a range of rifles, .243, .270, 30-30, .375, and no matter how flat or rainbowed the thing shot, he was always more consistent, even though his best groups were nowhere near mine.

It all comes down to the shooter. Now, this is not to say that a garbage optic or a junk-pile gun won't ruin even a phenomenal shooters group, but most well built guns with reliable optics on them will shoot consistently enough to narrow down the margin of error to where a human affects the accuracy more.

Even the individual shooters current body chemistry or mindset matters, as well as things like wind, which, let's be honest, most shooters aren't sitting around twisting knobs to account for. I've shot anywhere from a 1moa group to a 6 or 7moa five shot group, depending on the day and my level of focus. Same rifle, same ammunition.

Also worth noting: I'm sure some have noticed, that time away from the range helps ones groups immensely, that is, in the time when I was going out 100 yards every other day for hours on end, I was averaging way looser groups than when I went broke on dollar-a-round .308 and took a month off. Muscle memory? Who knows....

Page generated in 0.03239 seconds with 8 queries