View Single Post
Old November 1, 2008, 06:22 PM   #34
OldMarksman
Staff

From BuckHammer:
Quote:
Also, the second half of my post...["However, this will not be my first response, unless, of course, I feel that my life or well-being is being threatened (such as being robbed at gunpoint"] justified the first half, so please don't take the first half out of context. I stated that deadly force would not be my first response, which I hoped (without merit, apparently) would indicate my reluctance to use it or advocate it.
I apparently misunderstood you to say that while deadly force would "not be your first response", you were in fact willing to use deadly force to protect property. The intent of my response was to point you to the fact that you cannot do so. If you were saying that you would use deadly force only for protecting yourself, that's another matter.

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't automatically assume the worst about me and my post.
I assure you that I haven't done that.

Quote:
Also, don't demonize me based on what you perceive my opinion to be.
Nor that.

I have seen a lot of posts on this and another net forum from people who say that they would not hesitate to use deadly force to protect or retrieve their trucks, wallets, or other unspecified property. I see two risks here: (1) that those who post such things or others influenced by them may actually do that and become felons and (2), antigun people will react either to such tragedies or to the posts themselves and limit the rights of people to keep, carry, and use firearms.

When I read your post I interpreted it to be along such lines, and evidently, so did David Armstrong. If I missed the point, that's great.

Now, if you are the victim of an armed robbery, and under the circumstances at hand you reasonably fear for yourself, you have to decide what to do, taking into account that later, when your fate is not in your hands, you will likely have to convince others that your fear was in fact justified.

If you merely happen to be present at an armed robbery, it might be a lot harder to convince people afterwards that you had reason to fear for yourself. The fact that the police are advised against intervention during the event would probably work against you.

In any event, you are not permitted to protect your property by "any means necessary," and if your take is almost identical to mine, wonderful.

I hope you find this helpful.

Page generated in 0.03043 seconds with 8 queries