View Single Post
Old October 27, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
magilla

New to the forums, looking for advice on my first handgun

Hi everyone, I'm Clayton, longtime lurker and first time posting. I've been shopping around for my first handgun for a while now, for range and home defense use. I have a few ideas, but would love some suggestions and input.

I know for sure that I want an automatic chambered in .45 ACP. I love the feel and action of a 1911, as I've had several airsoft GBB (gas blow back) 1911s. Before anyone says anything, GBB airsoft guns are great for training and education, as they're function and disassemble almost identically to the real thing. However, there's several other options I'm interested in, namely (in order of preference,) the Springfield Armory XDm .45 compact, H&K USP .45 compact, and the S&W M&P .45 compact with thumb safety.

There are several 1911 models in my price range ($800 or less, preferably less,) namely the Springfield Armory Range Officer (the top of my list,) Ruger SR1911, Remington R1 Enhanced, and the Desert Eagle 1911g.

My main concerns are reliability, accuracy, and ergonomics, in that order. I have no plans for concealed carry, but if I'm not going with a full sized 1911, I'd rather go with something lightweight and compact. Being new, I'm aware that there'll be a learning curve... I'll need training and practice to become a good shooter, and will adjust to whatever I choose. I just want to make a well educated decision, and make my first handgun a keeper that will last for years to come.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The main thing I'm decided on is that I want a .45ACP chambered automatic. However, if there's an option in another caliber that a great case can be made for, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Page generated in 0.04001 seconds with 8 queries