View Single Post
Old March 10, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Tom68

Kutz, that's my dream. someday...

in the meantime, Alabama has public ranges operated by the fish and game service. you have to possess a valid hunting license to use them, as they are funded through the licensing fees. of the three that I have used, they are unattended, have covered shooting areas, wooden benches on concrete pads, and they are divided by berms for different distances. the latter varies somewhat...the one nearest my home has only two sections, one with a 25 and a 50 yard berm, and the other with a 100 yard berm.

The signs are posted with the rules on them, and fortunately I very seldom see anyone not following them closely. The rules are not overly restrictive: nothing to prohibit .50 cal, shoot as fast as you like, lead is ok. most everyone follows the golden rule, and only once have I felt compelled to correct someone's behavior (an old dude went downrange without clearing it with me first, and I was lining up for my next shot).

I've learned long ago to get my dialing-in a few months prior to deer season, because during the month prior you'll have to wait for some time to get a bench. I prefer to take a day off work and go in the mornings.... I normally only see retired folks, and they are almost always pleasant to be around.

I do normally try to avoid weekends, especially in the afternoons: not trying to be judgmental, but I just don't feel able to concentrate when three or more twenty-somethings are rapid firing their AKSs and hoot-n-hollering. Not that they are inherently unsafe....but it's a strange mix of company when I'm setting up a chronograph and a spotting scope. but, it takes all kinds

Page generated in 0.03251 seconds with 8 queries