View Single Post
Old February 16, 2013, 05:39 AM   #49
chaim

I'm a big CZ and SIG fan (even on a budget).

CZ makes a great gun. They used to be an incredible deal: SIG functional quality (though fit and finish weren't up to SIG standards), and Ruger prices. Now, they are priced closer to their quality, but they are still good deals. The compact P06 (40S&W), P01 (9mm) and PCR (9mm) may be hard to find for under $600 anymore, but they won't be much more than $600. The steel frame 32oz 75 Compact should be closer to $500, as is the full-sized CZ 75B. The polymer P07 (9mm or .40) is the budget choice as it can usually be had for under $500. My full sized CZ 75B has well over 10K rounds through it, and the number of hiccups can be counted on one hand.

Some years ago I bought 2 used SIGs within 6 months of each other, a 9mm 226 and a .40S&W 229. I absolutely loved that 229: just small enough for CCW, big enough to be a great range gun, 100% reliable (though the 226 wasn't), and very accurate. Unfortunately, I had to sell them a few years ago: I'm a teacher, not paid over the summer, and one summer I didn't save enough for the summer and didn't find a summer job so I sold them when I ran too low on money. I've wanted to replace that 229 ever since.

Several months ago I bought a SIG 290RS (9mm). Very small and easily concealable, shoots like a bigger gun (it is comfortable to shoot, and very accurate), mine has been 100% reliable. The DAO trigger is a little long and heavy, but it is very smooth, very revolver-like. It is now one of my favorite guns, and when I am out of MD it has been my always carry lately (I have a UT permit, but not an almost impossible to obtain MD permit so I don't carry here).

After much research, and partially over my love of the 290, I recently put a .45ACP SIG P250 Compact on layaway (and I plan to get the conversion kit to make it a subcompact .40S&W before long as well). They are inexpensive, and the modular design makes them very versatile (they can be converted to different sizes and calibers relatively inexpensively and easily). From my research, it does seem they were a bit unreliable at first, but SIG slightly redesigned them and the 2nd generation seems to be highly reliable.

You should easily be able to find a SIG 290 for under $600, a SIG 250, CZ P07, full sized CZ 75B or CZ 75 Compact for around $500, and a CZ PCR, P01 or P06 for just over $600. For a SIG 229, 228 (9mm only), or 239, you will have to shop used, but it will be worth it. Any of these should make a terrific CCW choice.

Page generated in 0.02810 seconds with 8 queries